If you're planning to celebrate New Year’s Eve in New York City, specifically in the heart of all the action in Times Square, countdown with our ten tips to ensure your night is a fabulous one to remember!
10. No tickets needed. The annual New Year’s Eve celebration in Times Square is a free event (there are no public viewing spaces for sale). Only businesses in the area (such as restaurants and hotels) may be selling tickets for private viewing parties.
9. Arrive early. With no tickets, the event is truly a first-come, first serve affair. If you show up too early, before the barriers are set, you may have to move, so check the Times Square Official Schedule and FAQ for the “opening” time and any other questions that you may have. Plan on showing up in the morning or early afternoon (3:00pm starts the “mad rush”).
8. Come well-fed and pack plenty of snacks. The classic NYC food vendors are not allowed inside the designated area.
7. Dress in layers. You’ll be standing for hours outside. No matter what the weather forecast is, the best bet is always casual, comfortable layers.
6. There's no midnight “champagne” toast in Times Square. Public drinking is illegal in NYC.
5. Take the minimum. Security is always high for New Year's Eve in Times Square, and only small bags are permitted, so try to leave any bags and extras at home.
4. Use public transportation if you can. With the amount of revelers celebrating New Year’s Eve in NYC, forget the car (and even cabs will be in short supply) so subways will be your best mode of transportation.
3. There are no public restrooms, so plan accordingly.
2. See the ascent as well as the famous descent! At approximately 6:00pm, the excitement starts to build as the gigantic crystal globe slowly makes its way to the very top of the pole.
1. Book a room at The Manhattan Club. Make your New Year’s Eve in NYC one to truly remember by staying in the comfort of our luxurious suite accommodations, located only 9 blocks away from the biggest party of the year!